Monday, June 22, 2009

Has 'To live' become a duty?

DISCLAIMER: This post is only the gush of feelings of the writer, and are not meant to be related to any person, or to hurt someone's sentiments.

The average life expectancy of an Indian is about 60 years. But If one thinks profoundly, it will become really difficult for most of us today to answer that why do we live? What is the purpose of our living these 60-65 years? Has “to live” become a mere duty, an obligation for us? If we look around, the response seems to be affirmative.

Now let’s just review. What does a man do normally in India ( I have no right to comment on other countries about whom I know a little). After taking birth, a child is put into a school, where he learns; or rather rote learns his lessons. Then to get into a professional college, one carelessly devotes his/her childhood amidst loads of papers with black ink blotted over. Soon after getting degree he joins a job or takes up some means of livelihood, working on an 8-5 routine, making an honorable man out of himself. After marriage he devotes himself making a similar self out of his next generation. And towards the end his life, one just waits and watches. Many people live their life without even reflecting on life itself or its meaning for them. Their life may be full of activities. They may marry, have a family, children, have a high paying job, run multifarious businesses, have degrees, or become scientists or actors or singers. But still they have no clear idea of their life. I don’t say there is something wrong in living such a life. But the point is that what difference it would have made if this person had never been born? Even animal live a similar life. But animals don’t have much choice than to live, but we humans can think, we are intelligent beings, we are innovative, we are creative, and we have a society. Where is our sense of creation? Isn’t there a need to change our ways? How many of us know why they are in this world and what their purpose to live is? Are we living with a burden on ourselves?

Well first of all let me quench all those who might be thinking where I am leading to. Frustration of living life is crystal visible these days. Tell me, what suicides, terrorism, corruption, molestation, depression, meaning less fights over issues created by some stupid politicians or some staunch religious followers, etc. means other than an internal turmoil of our mind over the purpose of our living. I accept the philosophers’ point of view that one can never live life if one goes on for searching the meaning of his life. Because human existence has no real meaning or purpose because human existence occurred out of a random chance in nature, and anything that exists by chance has no intended purpose. But that never means that we let it flow like water unbound. But still I also believe that life is a wonderful asset. What idiot wants to search the purpose of life. Just LIVE your life.60 years are a hell lot of time if we really want to use it.

There have been many attempts since the big bang to give a meaning to one’s life. The most conspicuous one being religion. But there is a flaw even in this. Most of us think religion to be praying to god every day for well being, going to temples, mosques or churches etc. But we do not even try to read what the scriptures say about the religion. Why? Are we too busy? Religion has actually lost its meaning. In real terms the only religion we follow is the quest to gain more. More fame, more money, more success, more satisfaction. Ahhh. Sorry to say, but this always remains a quest. Why, because we didn’t have any purpose for the quest, no limit. We die with all we have incurred left in the pit of grave behind. Where did the satisfaction come?

That also is on account of our social culture. I feel this vicious circle has become so large, that it has become next to impossible to break it. One actually breaks himself of from others, in an attempt to break away from this to and fro type of life. Because anything non customary is regarded as a taboo. Because one has to pay to this society even to buy food and shelter for him. Now that’s also ironical and funny. We all were born on this planet with equal probability. Then why do I have to pay someone for living on it. Anyways leave it, why to divert from our topic. Where was I? Yeah… Every change requires an effort, sacrifice. We must bring this change today. It’s solely on the shoulders of us, the youngsters to break this ice. (I don’t hope anything from elders.) I appeal, don’t live life like a duty, but a right, right to enjoy it, right to live it, right to satisfy someone, if not others then at least yourself. So that you never repent dying thinking you could not do what you wanted to during your lifetime, and wishing to get some more time to live, but dying happily. Content with your achievement, without regret, with a smile on your face, and probably on somebody else’s face too.

4 comments:

  1. jab tak tere jaise poltubaaz rahenge, tab tak kuch nahi badal sakta :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I believe you may have well desribed what you feel about YOUR life and not about other's life because that's why you're so sure that it is what it is in generality....
    So in short get a move on then...and live life the way you have written in the last paras...

    I don't think everyone life goes a waste?? Is it?? it's not like everyone should achieve a high-paying job or do some revolution to make his/her life worthwhile... A mother who can raise a child is good enough to be called succesful... A father who's ideal enough is again good enough...and it's like simple things are more awesome than those complex ones....complex is not cool..

    You have talked about reading about religion... I mean I am in those guys who are busy enough ... Actually not busy enough but have got more ways to bore myself...and no religion is about more money, more fame or anything like this...Why are you convincing/forcing anyone to be religious??? I am sorry if I sound arrogant but you got flowed away with thoughts you think about life and expressed them as they should exist...
    and one thing is We can't stop... I mean yes, we have to gain more.. Aint you working for getting more...more money, more fame, MAKE LOTS AND LOTS OF SOCIAL CONTACTS (as you have written in your orkut profile).

    And you have made a mistake in the second para. We are not looking for more satisfaction... I mean it's non sense to have an adjective like more with a feeling... Either you're satisfied or you're not... I mean no one says - I am more satisfied with life or less... So you wanted to say it's wrong to look for (more) satisfaction but in the last para you want the person to satisfy himself... I mean if you want to satisfy yourself how'll you know your needs??? Won't they just grow??

    I respect you a lot but I don't buy your idea this time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well i have a suggestion for you ... Chill maar ... Try to enjoy the life ... you will one day yourself find the meaning to it ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Rohan:
    Well thank u so much for such a deep reading and then expressing yourself. Let me assure you that I certainly don't live my life as duty and I do everything from my heart, believe me. I am really content, as evidently from your comment, atleast you also do not live your life as duty. But dear, what I wrote was neither particularly about my life, nor yours, it was a GENERAL perspective. I know very well that every one is not wasting his/her life. But the point is that you are looking only till your social circle. You actually failed to buy my point because you interpreted it a bit wrongly.
    First of all my idea was not at all a declaration but still a question unanswered. It's really successful for a mother who can raise her child and father who can be ideal enough. But my question is in this very point that is this role-play the only thing for which we started in the very beginning. Every day one sees newspapers flooded with news like whole family committed suicide for not being able to cope up with their daily needs. Now here I feel I make my point that is life just a duty that if you fail to fulfill, you are prosecuted.
    Refer to :----"Tell me, what suicides, terrorism, corruption, molestation, depression, meaning less fights over issues created by some stupid politicians or some staunch religious followers, etc. means other than an internal turmoil of our mind over the purpose of our living."
    Coming over to religion. Again either i failed to make myself clear or you failed to comprehend. I myself am a non believer of religious activities. But here I wanted to point out those who take religion as their way of live, their motivation and direction to live, they themselves are unaware of what their religion actually says. Its not that I force someone to do anything. I can't actually. But it is like that i feel we must know the ideology behind religion properly before we submit ourselves to it.
    And finally thanks again for correcting the language flaw. But for me it was more important to convey what I said.
    Really loved to see your comment. You got in the purpose of this post,to ponder upon and discuss. Keep reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete